Sunday, April 20, 2008

What I Want To Live For

So on this journey to better health, I have come to the realization that it's also a journey to a better life. That is not to say that I don't like my life because I do love my life. I love my husband, daughter and son. What I want from my life is my total presence with in it.

That presence would be me. I want to be in my life, and fully enjoying it. This may sound weird, but I feel that I am called by a higher power to this new healthy life. (OK, now if this higher power would have cooperated with a weight loss this week-just stayed the same)  All jokes aside, I have been asking myself some questions lately. They are how can I can be more healthy, more present and more prayerful in my life. I prayed about this, and came to a startling conclusion.

I think that I need to stop drinking. I drink two to three times a week, enough to dampen my energy for my kids the morning after I drink. On some weeks that means I am only fully available to my family half the week. Also, it means I'm unavailable to myself. What does it mean to be unavailable to myself? If I'm unavailable to myself, that means their isn't time for me to love this life that has been gifted to me.  

So I am allowing for the possibility that I might not want to drink as much as I used to. I don't know exactly what that means right now. For now, it means I haven't had a drink in one week.  


5 comments:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

While the amount you were drinking certainly doesn't sound excessive, I can certainly understand your feeling that it was removing you from the here and now. You *deserve* to get as much out of this life as you can, so kudos to you for taking this step!

Holly said...

Oh sweetie! You know, recognizing that drinking just might not fit into your desired healthy lifestyle is huge. Go with it... I know you'll feel better for it.. because it's about being true to yourself!

Hanlie said...

While we were not heavy drinkers either, we were frequent drinkers and we've found that our quality of life has improved a great deal after stopping. I used to love wine, but I don't miss it at all!

Ready Maid said...

WOW! I had a similar experience back in 2000, and on August 8, I took my last drink. I finally decided that the gifts I had been given were not worth the risk that alcohol presents for a personality like mine.

I admire you for sharing your intimate thoughts, especially about such a socially accepted custom as drinking. Follow the leading of the highest vision for yourself, and you'll do fine.

Anonymous said...

This idea of being unavailable for yourself really struck a chord with me. I'm finding more and more that those few wines or beers here and there through the week just don't fit in with where I want to be and that really captures it. Nice to meet you.